KNOX BOARDING CENTRE
BOARDING ACCOMMODATION FOR APPROXIMATELY 140 STUDENTS
Knox Grammar School, Wahroongah
Drew Dickson Architects
The Uniting Church
We are excited to announce the completion of yet another major blue chip school project. It is the 3rd boarding house specific project we have completed, the previous ones being at Abbotsleigh College and Saint Ignatius College. Designed by Drew Dickson Architects the Knox Boarding Centre is located within the grounds of Knox Grammar School. The project was won on a competitive tender basis and was project managed by Sandrick Pty Ltd.
The centre is terraced and climbs 5 levels from the School Administration Centre off Woodville Avenue towards the Pacific Highway and was designed to blend with other traditional buildings scattered throughout the school. The buildings flawless face brickwork includes feature gables; spandrels; parapets; inlayed sandstone and bronze signage plaques; corbelling and soldiers coursing, together with sandstone cladding walls. There are also glazed curtain walls with prefinished metal sun louvres; glazed roofing; and frameless glass awning structures.
Student accommodation is spread over Levels 2 to 5 which provide accommodation for approximately 140 students. Each room is complete with ensuite as well relevant built-in and loose furniture.
Other features include:
- Each floor has been named to acknowledge the benefactors of the school:
Level 5 Ewan
Level 4 MacNeil
Level 3 Gillespie
Level 2 Gilmore
Level 1 Jessie Gillespie
- The building has been designed for conversion to classrooms if required.
- Solar controlled glazing.
- Double glazing to Pacific Highway.
- Energy efficiency measures have been implemented in the air conditioning toilet exhaust and lighting systems.
- There are 30 solar panels on the roof with 10 hot water storage tanks under the building.
- Accommodation for 3 Housemasters’ families, 4 Assistant Housemasters.
- On Level 1 there is an on-site Clinic with a Treatment Room and 3 separate wards providing 24 hour accommodation for Clinic Sisters.
- Commercial laundry and a separate laundry for Boarder’s out of hours use.
- 6 separate kitchenettes and 6 separate recreation rooms. One public toilet on each floor level.
We would like to thank all the professional services team and Knox Grammar staff that worked with us to complete this project on time and within budget.